Citadelle de Blaye is a military complex of 38 acres built between 1685 and 1689 by the military architect François Ferry, director general of fortifications of Guyenne, under the supervision of Sébastien Vauban. Overlooking the estuary of the Gironde, it is located in the town of Blaye, in the northern department of Gironde, France. It forms a vast fortified complex surrounded by curtains, complete with four bastions and three half-moons.
The interior is designed as a real walled city built around a parade, a monastery formerly in the religious order minimal, and several barracks. Several elements of the medieval fortifications are included in the new set, including the castle Rudel (twelfth century), the door Liverneuf (thirteenth century) and the tower of the Éguillette (fifteenth century).
Historical monument 11 May 2009, it is also one of the twelve integrated Network of Major Vauban Sites sites and is registered as such 7 July 2008 on the list of World Heritage Unesco5, It is classified since December 20, 2010 as a major site Aquitaine.